ost of us can attest to the shared experience of stress in our everyday lives, which can be fierce and unrelenting. At home, we manage kids’ schedules, care for elderly family members, maintain homes and vehicles and handle a constant stream of chores. At work, technology keeps us tethered and accessible to managers, customers and employees, often 24/7. Political and economic fears motivate us to work longer hours and compete with peers to maintain our jobs. In a Harvard Business School survey, a stunning 94% of working professionals reported working over 50 hours/week, with almost half working more than 65 hours per week. For certain, life’s stressors can seriously impact relationships, physical endurance, mental health and overall happiness. Experts agree: stress can be so damaging that only a concerted effort toward employee, sales or consumer incentives could generate rewards, recognition and compensation in a way powerful enough to move the Work Life balance needle.
When Work/Life Balance is a Priority, Everyone Wins
Studies have shown that employees who have a positive work-life balance are happier, healthier and more productive. Logically, it’s in your company’s best interest to prioritize employee well-being by investing in relevant strategies, programs and tools.
Employees who have a positive work-life balance are happier, healthier and more productive.
A Caring Corporate Culture: Half the Battle
- Don’t require perfection by letting ‘great’ get in the way of ‘good’
- Encourage employees to unplug during their personal time
- Create space, time and encouragement to stretch, exercise and meditate
- Limit time wasters (both people and tasks)
The Other Half: Rewards & Incentives
Gift cards and eGiftCards are great ways to let your employees know you are serious about their wellness. The eGifter Rewards catalog has an array of brands that underscore and deliver these core values.
- Drive wellness with gift cards to spa facilities or retail brands that carry healthy offerings (like Bed, Bath and Beyond gift cards)
- Gift them learning or travel experiences such as continuing education benefits would allow your workforce to pursue its “bucket list.” Whether it be REI adventure travel, live events, or free MOOCs like edX or Coursera, there are plenty of ways to support your employees to explore and enjoy life.
- Promote family time, which is often the number one reason most of us work so hard! We spend so much time and mindshare at work, we literally forget about the entire reason we do so in the first place! All it takes is one very special gathering to create a memory that lasts a lifetime, not to mention setting the scene for the added fun of digital photos posted social channels, bringing together even more friends & family. There are literally scores of restaurants to gift, including the Landry’s family of restaurants across the country. Give them the gift of family togetherness — it’s easy and incredibly meaningful.
Companies who incorporate health, wellness and work-life balance not only improve their competitive edge to recruit the best job candidates, they enjoy higher employee retention rates. On both counts, greater job satisfaction and lower turnover result in real savings like reduced training costs, diminished recruiting fees and lower paid sick leave costs.